Re: Case-Insensitve Text Comparison

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case-Insensitve Text Comparison
Date: 2008-06-02 18:24:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:29:30AM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:

> What if you had a CHECK constraint that was locale-sensitive? Would the
> constraint only be non-false (true or null) for records inserted under
> the same locale? That's not very useful.

It would seem that this is one of the important cases that needs to be
worked out.  I wasn't suggesting that per-session locale (or whatever
we want to call it) is _easy_ or, for that matter, even possible; just
that it would solve a large number of the problems that people
complain about.

In fact, I suspect that what we really need is something a little more
like "in-database locale" or something.

> I think if you want some special treatment of text for some users, it
> should be explicit.

Yes.  Also, not just text.  Think of currency, numeric separators, &c.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/