Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression

From: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Davy Durham <pubaddr5(at)davyandbeth(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression
Date: 2008-06-01 20:23:51
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 04:13:34PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >Davy Durham <pubaddr5(at)davyandbeth(dot)com> writes:
> >
> >>So, if this patch is not acceptable as-is, what would you feel about
> >>this:
> >>        I could enhance the -t/--table=NAME option to accept more than a
> >>        simple NAME.  Rather it could accept something in the form:
> >>

> >>                --table=<table_name>:<where-clause expression>
> >>

> >Well, that would at least address the complaint that it doesn't scale
> >to multiple tables, but the whole thing still seems like a frammish
> >that will never see enough use to justify maintaining it.
> >
> >(BTW, what will you do with a table whose name contains a colon?)
> >

> ISTM this would be better off waiting until we turn large parts of
> pg_dump into a library, as has been often discussed, at which point it
> should be relatively simple to write a custom client to do what the OP
> wants. I agree that it does not at all belong in pg_dump.

I can't imagine many of my clients ever writing another C program or even
being willing to pay me to do so. While modularizing pg_dump is a fine idea,
I don't think it addresses the same set of use cases and users as this
proposal.

-dg

--
David Gould       daveg(at)sonic(dot)net      510 536 1443    510 282 0869