Re: Migration from ASCII to UTF8

From: Ivo Rossacher <rossacher(at)bluewin(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migration from ASCII to UTF8
Date: 2008-05-30 17:46:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

ASCII character encoding means that the database does not care about the
encoding. So it is the responsibility of the programs you use, to use the
correct encoding for your application. So you need to know the used encoding
of your applications/data in your database. Then you can convert a text
backup by recode, iconv or anything like that to utf8. You should be able to
restore the corrected dump into a utf8 database. If your applications used
different encodings you have to fix this somehow by hand first.

In chapter 22 of the manual you can find more details about encodings.

Best regards
Ivo