Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-30 22:51:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
Andrew,

> Sure there's a price to pay. But that doesn't mean the facility doesn't
> exist. And I rather suspect that most of Josh's customers aren't too
> concerned about traffic charges or affected by such bandwidth
> restrictions. Certainly, none of my clients are, and they aren't in the
> giant class. Shipping a 16Mb file, particularly if compressed, every
> minute or so, is not such a huge problem for a great many commercial
> users, and even many domestic users.

The issue is that when you're talking about telecommunications companies
(and similar) once a minute isn't adequate.  Those folks want at least
every second, or even better synchronous.

Anyway, this is a pretty pointless discussion given that we want both
capabilities, and stuff will get implemented in the order it makes
technical sense.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus