Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-29 20:58:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 04:54:04PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> > > What is your justification for denigrating this plan with that?
> > > Or are you merely complaining because we know we won't be all
> > > the way there in 8.4?
> >
> > Again, just my humble opinion, but given the stated goal, which I
> > agree with, I'd say it's worth holding up 8.4 until some kind of
> > out-of-the-box replication advances that goal, where Yet Another
> > Toolkit Suitable For People Who Are Already Database Kernel
> > Hackers To Build Replication Systems On Top Of does not.
>
> I am confused why we would hold 8.4 when no one said we should hold
> 8.3 because we didn't have built-in replication.

If people on core had come to the idea that we needed to build in
replication *before* 8.3 came out, they certainly didn't announce it.

Now is a great time to mention this because it gives everybody time to:

1. Come to a consensus on what the out-of-the-box replication should
be, and

2. Build, test and debug whatever the consensus out-of-the-box
replication turns out to be.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!