Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-29 19:30:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:05:18PM -0700, Robert Hodges wrote:

> people are starting to get religion on this issue I would strongly
> advocate a parallel effort to put in a change-set extraction API
> that would allow construction of comprehensive master/slave
> replication.

You know, I gave a talk in Ottawa just last week about how the last
effort to develop a comprehensive API for replication failed.  I had
some ideas about why, the main one of which is something like this:
"Big features with a roadmap have not historically worked, so unless
we're willing to change the way we work, we won't get that."

I don't think an API is what's needed.  It's clear proposals for
particlar features that can be delivered in small pieces.  That's what
the current proposal offers.  I think any kind of row-based approach
such as what you're proposing would need that kind of proposal too.

That isn't to say that I think an API is impossible or undesirable.
It is to say that the last few times we tried, it went nowhere; and
that I don't think the circumstances have changed.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/