Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
Cc: Justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>, Martin <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>,Nikola Milutinovic <alokin1(at)yahoo(dot)com>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules
Date: 2008-05-29 17:53:29
Lists: pgsql-general
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 03:07:17AM +0930, Shane Ambler wrote:
> Exactly. The real problem is that the first one to apply for a patent
> gets it. It really doesn't matter who invents it. If we have patents
> that cover our work then we can control who uses it and for what
> purpose, also preventing others from patenting our ideas and stopping us
> from using them.

There are places that offer cheap alternatives which are not patents
but more "declarations of prior art". The point being not so much that
you get a patent but that you prevent others from getting one on the
same thing. As in the patent office will actually use it when
determining prior art, rather than just ignoring anything on internet.

Cheaper, but still not cheap....

Have a nice day,