Re: Annoying messages when copy sql code to psql terminal

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Annoying messages when copy sql code to psql terminal
Date: 2008-05-27 14:06:53
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:24:38PM +0200, A B wrote:
> Whenever I use copy-paste to run code in a terminal window that is
> running psql, and the code contains a row like
>
> IF FOUND THEN
>
> then I get the words

 [...]

> That must be some kind of display of possible stuff to write after
> "THEN" but it is very annoying. How to turn it of?

I'd guess the next line of code starts with a tab character and hence
psql is just tab completing the (empty) line.  If you don't want this to
happen, you can disable table completion.  From the man page:

       If
       for some reason you do not like the tab completion, you can turn it off
       by putting this in a file named .inputrc in your home directory:

       $if psql
       set disable-completion on
       $endif

As an aside, there isn't an "if" statement in SQL.

  Sam