Re: swik.net is copying planetpostgresql content

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: swik.net is copying planetpostgresql content
Date: 2008-05-27 13:29:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

* Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de> [080501 00:00]:

> As example:
>
> http://swik.net/PostgreSQL/Planet+Postgresql/Selena+Deckelmann%3A+PostgreSQL+Conference+East+-+buckets+of+awesome%21/b3non
>
> The full text appears as written in this wiki, even the link "Return to
> Planet PostgreSQL" in the upper right corner is a link back into this
> wiki and not back to planetpg.

> Fine, the "read more" links back to the original article, but this link
> is very small, given all the other links on this website. An aggregator
> (like planet) links the article back to the original blog site, this
> wiki links all posts into his own wiki and just adds this small "read
> more" link.

In otherwords, it *is* aggregating, with 1 other "page" in between,
that "page" being the published entry content.

Pretty much like Google Reader, Akregator, etc...

> What makes me think? I found out because i searched for something which
> i know it is on planet (sorry, it's almost 4 days ago, don't know the
> keyword anymore but i wanted to wait until i spoke Devrim) and this
> wiki was the number one hit, even before planetpg.

Google pagerank is to thank for that, well, that and the fact that
PlanetPostgreSQL.org publishes a RSS/XML/ATOM feed for others to view
and read...

> > They are simply parsing the RSS feed, and they *do* link back to planetpostgres,

> Postgresql</a>
>
> I see.

And the problem here? You're burried levels into the SWIK agregator,
and it's a link back up 1 level in their agregator... And if your at
that page, the link is "Return to PostgreSQL", where you find lots of
other information SWIK and their users have collected...

> They are not just "simply parsing" the feed, they publish the
> content from the feed without asking anyone and they try to hold you
> in that wiki as long as possible by rewriting all planetpg links. As
> others stated out: we make an effort to unify all PG blogs and they
> undermine this attempt. What's wrong with "simply parsing" the feed,
> publish the headline and then link back to the original article like
> others do?

It's actually works the same way most as of the agregators I know. They
"suck" the feed, parse the published articles, display them (and all the
ones I use display them separately from the main list of articles, this
"try to hold you in that wiki as long as possible by rewriting...." you
talk about. Many feeds that intentionally want to "pull" the user back
to the website only publish a "summary", or "teaser" in the feed. In
fact PlanetPostgreSQL does that too, and even kicked someone off
recently for not "sumarizing" his articles...

I'm not sure I see what all the fuss is about. If you (as in the
community providing content for pp) want to force people to use that
content only through accessing http://www.planentpostgresql.org/ you
shouldn't be providing that content in a RSS/XML/ATOM feed, which are
standard protocols to allow the content/blogs/articles be "aggregated"
and read by others without having to go to the original-content website.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,