Re: apr integration

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bob Rossi <bob_rossi(at)cox(dot)net>
Subject: Re: apr integration
Date: 2008-05-20 01:33:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Am Dienstag, 20. Mai 2008 schrieb Bob Rossi:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:01:32AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Am Montag, 19. Mai 2008 schrieb Bob Rossi:
> > > Apr allows the use of the wonderful postgresql db. It has an autotools
> > > test that checks to see if it can link against -lpq. However, checking
> > > against just -lpq is not always enough. On linux, sometimes you need
> > > '-lpq -lcrypt'. On windows, sometimes you need '-lpq -lSecur32
> > > -lws_32'.
> >
> > I don't know about Windows, but on Linux -lpq should always be enough
> > (unless you are linking statically). Everything else would seem to be a
> > bug.
>
> Yup, linking statically.

Well, if you are linking statically, you might as well refer to
pg_config --libs, or any other infinite list of libraries you can dream of.
The main reason why this is discouraged for dynamic linking is that this
creates unnecessary package dependencies. But for static linking, it sounds
OK to me. I guess we have never really bothered to carefully specify the
static case.