Re: apr integration

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bob Rossi <bob_rossi(at)cox(dot)net>
Subject: Re: apr integration
Date: 2008-05-19 22:01:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Am Montag, 19. Mai 2008 schrieb Bob Rossi:
> Apr allows the use of the wonderful postgresql db. It has an autotools
> test that checks to see if it can link against -lpq. However, checking
> against just -lpq is not always enough. On linux, sometimes you need
> '-lpq -lcrypt'. On windows, sometimes you need '-lpq -lSecur32 -lws_32'.

I don't know about Windows, but on Linux -lpq should always be enough (unless
you are linking statically).  Everything else would seem to be a bug.

> So, my question is, how does one figure out the required libraries? I
> suggested pg_config --libs on the apr mailing list, and someone had this
> to say:
>   This returns libraries that were used to build PostgreSQL, not the ones
>   that are required to link to -lpq. So, I'm just worried that it is
>   inaccurate.
>
> Could you please comment on this?

I suppose you got the above information from Tollef Fog Heen, after I
discussed the issue with him in the Debian BTS.  I agree, however, the the
purpose of the pg_config options may be confusing or badly documented.