Re: create or replace language

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create or replace language
Date: 2008-05-15 22:21:32
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Thu, 15 May 2008 12:29:11 +0100 Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> > Attached is another version of the patch (still missing documentation),
> > which changes the language owner on update (the owner can still be
> > changed in pg_pltemplate).
>
> The other CREATE OR REPLACE commands don't change the owner, so CREATE
> OR REPLACE LANGUAGE shouldn't do that either.

It's possible that the language owner is changed in the meantime (in
pg_pltemplate). Since the owner cannot be changed from the "CREATE OR
REPLACE" syntax, a modified owner in the template table is the only
possibility where a new owner can came from. If "CREATE LANGUAGE"
find's a language entry in pg_pltemplate, it drops any data from the
commandline and uses the data from the template - so a new owner is
something which should be distributed along with the REPLACE.

> >> So do we want to replace any data (in my opinion only the validator is
> >> left) at all or just skip any error message?
>
> I think you should be able to change handler and validator functions,
> and the trusted flag. Or is there a reason to not allow that?

No other answer yet.

Kind regards

--
				Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum