Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-15 21:17:40
Lists: pgsql-patches
daveg wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:20:53AM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > >Which is a good thing (in this case at least), because otherwise we
> > >would end up with a crappy UI just because a single person thinks it's
> > >"good enough".
> >

> > This makes me think we shouldn't be hard-coding anything at all
> > as the welcome message; but rather having a default .psqlrc
> > in much the same way that that there's a default /etc/bash.bashrc
> > and /etc/csh.login.
> >
> > Within that default .psqlrc we can put
> >    \qecho "Whatever the default message is"
> > or
> >    select "my message "+version();
> > to create the default, but then anyone with their own .psqlrc
> > can re-define it to whatever they think is a "good enough" UI.
>
> +1
> Including no banner at all please.

There is a psql quiet option that shows no banner:

       -q
       --quiet
              Specifies  that psql should do its work quietly. By
              default, it prints  welcome  messages  and  various
              informational  output. If this option is used, none
              of this happens. This is useful with the -c option.
              Within  psql you can also set the QUIET variable to
              achieve the same effect.

You could then use \echo in .psqlrc to make your own banner.