Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-15 16:12:36
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Oh, good point.  Let me look at that.  Thanks.  You prefer:
>
> > 	$ sql test
> > 	psql (8.4devel)
> > 	Type "help" for help.
>
> > 	test=> help
>
> Well, the question is still "where is the optional info going to go?"
>
> I think what I'd find nice looking is
>
> 	$ psql test
> 	psql 8.4devel  [ server version warning here, if needed ]
> 	[ line with SSL info here, if needed ]
> 	Type "help" for help.
>
> 	test=>
>
> I do feel that the help statement ought to be on its own line;
> the other way is going to look cluttered, particularly as soon
> as there's a version warning in there.

OK, here is the normal startup now:

	$ sql test
	psql (8.4.0)
	Type "help" for help.

	test=>

Here is a minor version mismatch:

	$ sql test
	psql (8.4.0, server 8.4.1)
	Type "help" for help.

	test=>

Here is a major version mismatch:

	$ sql test
	psql (8.4.0, server 8.3.1)
	        WARNING: psql version 8.4.0, server version 8.3.1.
	        Some psql features might not work.
	Type "help" for help.

	test=>

I have also added '\g' to the 'help' display:

	test=> help

	You are using psql, the command-line interface to PostgreSQL.
	        \? for psql help
	        \h or \help for SQL help

	        \g or ";" to execute a query
	        \q to quit psql

	        \copyright to view the copyright

	test=>

I don't know how to generate an SSL message.

With the new smaller \? "General" section, I though it was worth
considering if we still want to do the help banner the same.  Obviously
we do, but I wanted to explore it.

Patch attached.