Re: create or replace language

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create or replace language
Date: 2008-05-15 10:35:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sat, 10 May 2008 09:36:26 +0200 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

> On Sat, 3 May 2008 21:12:51 +0200 Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 May 2008 13:34:05 -0400 Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > So maybe the right thing is that CREATE OR REPLACE LANGUAGE can change
> > > "inessential" properties of an existing language, but not the core
> > > properties --- which might only be the handler function, though you
> > > could make a case for the validator and the trusted flag as well.
> >
> > Already thought about that: exchanging the handler function or the
> > libbrary might only be useful in a developing environment, i don't see
> > other use cases here. The same is true for the validator (but a missing
> > validator could be added afterwards) and in my opinion i would prefer
> > not to change the trust flag - some functions may depend on this.
> >
> > The name cannot be changed at all so only the owner and maybe the
> > validator is left ...
>
> Even the owner does not make sense, because it seems it is not possible
> that the owner will changed through the SQL interface. ALTER LANGUAGE
> already exists for this purpose and CREATE LANGUAGE has no option for
> the language owner.

Attached is another version of the patch (still missing documentation),
which changes the language owner on update (the owner can still be
changed in pg_pltemplate).

> So do we want to replace any data (in my opinion only the validator is
> left) at all or just skip any error message?

Anyone has an opinion here?

Kind regards

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Attachment Content-Type Size
create_or_replace_language-patch-2008-05-15.patch text/x-patch 8.2 KB