Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-15 02:21:46
Lists: pgsql-patches
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> >> Please review the previous discussion:
> >>

> > OK, I just read the thread and saw no one say we should be promoting
> > _only_ 'help' in the startup banner.  Where is that email discussion?
> >
> And most specifically:

Ah, OK.  I had forgotten.  Here is the new output:

	$ sql test
	psql (8.4devel)   Type "help" for help.
	test=> help
	You are using psql, the command-line interface to PostgreSQL.
	        \h or \help for SQL help
	        \? for psql help
	        \q to quit psql

	        \copyright to view the copyright
	test=> \?
	  \copyright     show PostgreSQL usage and distribution terms
	  \g [FILE] or ; send query buffer to server (and results to file or |pipe)
	  \h [NAME]      help on syntax of SQL commands, * for all commands
	  \q             quit psql

	Query Buffer
	  \e [FILE]      edit the query buffer (or file) with external editor

I moved '\g' up into the "General" section rather than make it a
single-entry section.

  Bruce Momjian  <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>