Re: listing training courses by language ?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: listing training courses by language ?
Date: 2008-05-12 07:28:53
Lists: pgsql-www

damien clochard wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive
>
> Looking at the training list in the main web site, a few questions
> come to my mind :
>
> 1/ is it possible to specify in the header the language of the
> training ? i see that most of them are in English, but some are in
> different language. This information seems almost as important as the
> location and the date.

Not a bad idea to add a field for this. Shouldn't be too much work
either.

> 2/ is it possible to write the training description in its "original"
> tongue ? For instance, i see no point announcing a french training
> and presenting it with an English description. This is rather
> confusing. At least that would be great to have the ability the
> describe the training both in English and the original language.

If it goes on the main frontpage, I think it needs to have a headline
in english - just like we require for news. I personally find it very
confusing that we have a number of professional services registered
with no description in english, but those are at least not on the
frontpag.e

Anyway. How about writing a short ingress in one or two paragraph with
like "This is training about foo and bar, held by Dalibo, in french",
and then follow up with the details in french?

> 3/ is it possible the sort the training by languages ? Maybe just
> creating sub-categories in the "training" section. My understanding
> is that when people search for a training, they're searching in very
> specific language ( which is most of the time their mother tongue ) .
> If they don't find any training in their mother tongue, then they'll
> search in another language. So i think sorting training by language
> would be better ...

Yeah. First thing we need to do is to store it, then we need to figure
out a good way to split it up. But it shouldn't be hard to do a split
of the eventsarchive page, as long as we can decide in which order to
split it.

//Magnus