Re: IM

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IM
Date: 2008-05-08 15:47:40
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> > This all started because Bruce wasn't able to talk to me on IM. I said
> > "hey, add my jabber.postgresql.org account to your momjian.us account
> > and we should connect." But it didn't work at all. Bruce gets a weird
> > XMPP 404 error; apparently the Jabber server is just not able to talk to
> > outside jabber servers. I know it was capable of doing so some days ago
> > -- I tested it myself. Now it's messed up again.
> >
> > I really hate to have to waste time complaining about something that
> > someone else wasted time to set up. But if we're gonna offer a service,
> > let's provide said service.
>
> Much as I hate to say it, the jabber service is almost entirely a
> CommandPrompt thing. That's not to say we don't support the idea of
> having one - just that the guys there (obviously not you) set it up
> and maintain it, whilst none of the rest of us know anything about it.

Okay. Just before sending the email I was talking to Devrim about it,
and he said he doesn't want to be involved in that server at all. So
what this leaves us with is that only Joshua Drake is in charge of the
server.

We (the community) have long seen this kind of situation as
inacceptable, where a single person is in charge of services. Now it's
frowned upon that only Marc has access to our Majordomo or DNS, for
example (even if he chooses to ignore the raised eyebrows). I know
Joshua is not a control freak :-) so I guess the current situation is
more the result of an unfortunate sequence of events than anything else.

> It is documented on PMT, but unfortunately not in a particularly
> useful way (it basically says - jabber(.postgresql.org) is a jabber
> server!!).

True :-(

> I'm happy for us to take a more active role managing it, but we could
> use some details on how it all works on PMT.

I'll talk to Joshua about it. Thanks.