Re: order of entries in admin docs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: order of entries in admin docs
Date: 2008-05-07 21:58:22
Lists: pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> There isn't much additional text except a description of each item.

That's the way it should be: Each parameter explains what it does.  There can
be more extensive documentation about how they all fit together elsewhere.

What I would like to see is getting rid of the sections the parameters are
grouped in and put them all in alphabetical order.  I find the current
arrangement completely unusable; nine times out of ten I cannot find the
right section.  The topical grouping of the options would be the job of the
more extensive documentation elsewhere I mentioned above.

I think Postfix has arranged this nicely:
http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html -- You have various sections
explaining how to configure for various jobs, and one big list of all
parameters explained.