Re: order of entries in admin docs

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: order of entries in admin docs
Date: 2008-05-07 18:27:04
Lists: pgsql-docs
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Scott Marlowe wrote:
> >  > The more I read the docs, the more moving client authentication seems
> >  > to make sense.  In fact, the authentication problems section is
> >  > probably the perfect final bit to the Connections and Authentication
> >  > section.  I'd move it up a level, so that it looked something like
> >  > this:
> >  >
> >  > 18.3. Connections and Authentication
> >  >
> >  >     18.3.1. Connection Settings
> >  >     18.3.2. Security and Authentication
> >  >     18.3.3. The pg_hba.conf file
> >  >     18.3.4. Authentication methods
> >  >     18.3.5. Authentication problems
> >  >
> >  > Unless a different level of indentation makes more sense, which I
> >  > could totally understand.
> >  >
> >  > It definitely follows the flow of setting up a pg server better for
> >  > me.  I might even move the pg_hba.conf file to 18.3.1 up there.  It is
> >  > pretty much a firewall.
> >
> >  I don't think this change makes sense --- All the "Connection Settings"
> >  stuff is in postgresql.conf. Pulling authentication in there will be too
> >  complex, I am afraid.
>
> Well, if you say so.  It seems like a natural part of it to me, but
> the modifications required to move things like that are pretty big,
> and I really don't feel comfortable enough in sgml to get it right.

Right now we have all postgresql.conf documentation in the same chapter.
To move it would split that up, which I think is confusing.

> The other move still makes more sense to me than the way it was
> originally though.

I did move the Authentication chapter up to after Configuration
Settings so the order now is:

	17. Operating System Environment
	18. Server Configuration
	19. Client Authentication