Re: [0/4] Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [0/4] Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches
Date: 2008-05-01 01:01:58
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Folks,

For hackers who don't understand security frameworks, I'm going to make a
strong case for KaiGai's patch.  Because of my current presentation
series, I've been talking to PostgreSQL users about security features
around the world for the last several months, and there's a *lot* of
interest in security framework support.  Not only are existing users
interested in it, but some potential users (security agencies, banks) who
didn't use PostgreSQL before have come to talk to me becuase of
SE-Postgres.

Further, I've asked the TrustedSolaris folks to take a look at KaiGai's
implementation to see if it was "generic" enough for them to build on as a
test of whether SE-Postgres was too specific to SE-Linux; the answer has
been a tentative "yes, it's generic".

So it would be much better to have this functionality be "mainstream"
rather than a fork.  If it does get bounced, please do it becuase of code
quality and not because "nobody is asking for this".

Thanks!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus