Re: 8.1.8 autovacuum missing databases

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Ian Westmacott <ianw(at)intellivid(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.1.8 autovacuum missing databases
Date: 2008-04-29 21:12:44
Lists: pgsql-admin
Ian Westmacott wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 16:33 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Is autovacuum dying before being able to finish the vacuuming of
> > template1 or the other database?
>
> Not as far as I can tell.  There are no indications of any crash or
> error in the log file (I just bumped the log level up to debug1).  Just
> autovacuum processing template1 or the one other database every minute.
> I ran VACUUM ANALYZE on both template1 and the one database manually
> just to make sure there wasn't a lock or something preventing
> completion, but they both completed without error.

Okay.

On 8.2 you could have the problem that leftover temp tables are messing
up the frozenxid calculations, but I don't think that can happen on 8.1
at all.

Can you verify whether age(pg_database.datfrozenxid) is shrinking after
vacuuming?  If the age() of a database is higher than the applicable
max_freeze_age, then it will always be chosen.