Re: Protection from SQL injection

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Protection from SQL injection
Date: 2008-04-29 18:39:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If you're going to ask people to do significant revision of their
> apps to gain security, they're going to want it to work no matter
> what database they run their apps against.  This is why you need
> a client-side solution such as tainting.

Or if people are going to re-write their applications anyway, we'd want at
least a theoretically robust and flexible approach like libdejector, which
lets you identify which parts of a query structure are modifiable and
which are not.

For example, some applications need to replace whole phrases:

$criteria = "WHERE $var1 = '$var2'"

This is a very common approach for dynamic search screens, and really not
covered by placeholder approaches.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus