Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-29 00:08:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com> writes:
> > Unless they are in the habit of doing:
> >
> > # COLUMNS=$COLUMNS ls -C |cat
> Some of us are actually in the habit of doing that because it's easier to use
> the standard interface than remembering the different command-line option for
> each command. I quite often do precisely that with dpkg, for example.

Yes, this is true, but it assume the application is not going to set
$COLUMNS itself, like psql does in interactive mode:

	test=> \echo `echo $COLUMNS`

	$ sql -c '\echo `echo $COLUMNS`' test

Now, we could get fancy and honor $COLUMNS only in non-interactive mode,
but that seems confusing.

  Bruce Momjian  <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>