Re: Benchmarks WAS: Sun Talks about MySQL

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Euler Taveira de Oliveira" <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "postgres performance list" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Benchmarks WAS: Sun Talks about MySQL
Date: 2008-04-28 20:55:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-performance

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:40:25 -0400
Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> We certainly can pass TPC-C. I'm curious what you mean by 1/4 though?
> On similar hardware? Or the maximum we can scale to is 1/4 as large
> as Oracle? Can you point me to the actual benchmark runs you're
> referring to?

I would be curious as well considering there has been zero evidence
provided to make such a statement. I am not saying it isn't true, it
wouldn't be surprising to me if Oracle outperformed PostgreSQL in TPC-C
but I would sure like to see in general how wel we do (or don't).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director | PostgreSQL political pundit