Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>, heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-26 13:44:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
> I don't see that behavior here on Ubuntu 7.10:
>
> 	$ COLUMNNS=120 ls -C |cat
> 	archive       cd    initrd      lost+found  proc  srv  usr
> 	basement.usr  dev   initrd.img  media       root  sys  var
> 	bin           etc   laptop      mnt         rtmp  tmp  vmlinuz
> 	boot          home  lib         opt         sbin  u    win
> 	$ ls --version
> 	ls (GNU coreutils) 5.97
>
> That is not a 120 width.  'ls' seems to ignore columns for pipe output.

Oops, Alvaro pointed out I typo'ed the variable name COLUMNS as
COLUMNNS. I see now that 'ls -C' does honor columns.  See my later
posting about '\pset wrapped 0' as a special case where we could honor
the ioctl/COLUMNS case.

My real confusion is this:

	$ echo $COLUMNS
	146

	$ ls -C|less
	archive       cd    initrd      lost+found  proc  srv  usr
	basement.usr  dev   initrd.img  media       root  sys  var
	bin           etc   laptop      mnt         rtmp  tmp  vmlinuz
	boot          home  lib         opt         sbin  u    win

	$ COLUMNS=120 ls -C|less
	archive       bin   cd   etc   initrd      laptop  lost+found  mnt  proc rtmp  srv  tmp  usr  vmlinuz
	basement.usr  boot  dev  home  initrd.img  lib     media       opt  root sbin  sys  u    var  win

Why does the first 'ls' not honor columns while the second does?  How
does 'ls' detect that the COLUMNS=120 is somehow different from the
default COLUMNS value?