Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>, heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-24 18:36:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

bruce wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> > > You are going to need to find community members who support your
> > > analysis if you want to make any headway in changing the patch.
> >
> > Let's turn that around, shall we? I think at this point it's *you*
> > that are standing alone and need to find someone who agrees with
> > your approach.
>
> I am confused exactly what people want changed in the patch. Some want
> no control over wrapping in file output, and others want $COLUMN to
> control column file output. The only person I am seeing code from is
> Greg Stark, but I think most don't want his changes.

Here is an email showing two people who want some way of getting wrapped
output into a file:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-04/msg00344.php

I think the API in the patch is the best I am going to do to keep
everyone happy --- 'wrapped' doesn't affect file/pipe output unless you
also tell it the width you want. Most interactive users are going to
set 'wrapped' and never set the width so it is automatically determined.

Some want wrapped to not affect file/pipe at all, while others (Greg
only?) want $COLUMNS to affect file/pipe output.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com