Re: Limiting the number of connections for one user

From: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limiting the number of connections for one user
Date: 2008-04-24 09:28:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
am  Thu, dem 24.04.2008, um 11:18:19 +0200 mailte Didier Gasser-Morlay folgendes:
> Hello,
>
> We clearly have a bug in our application: sometimes for reasons we
> have not been able to understand yet, the application will start
> creating connection like madness (several dozens in a matter of
> minutes). This eats up too quickly the number of connections we have
> available on the server and is not healthy anyway.
>
> We have narrowed the problem down to only 2 users having had this
> issue over the past few days.
>
> Whilst we are investigating what happens I am wondering if there are
> anyway to limit the number of connection a specific IP address can
> make to a server; this would not solve the user's issue but prevent it
> from spreading and affecting every other users.

Do you have a own user for this connection? If so, you can limit the
connections per user, see alter user <name> connection limit <limit>.

I don't know a way to set a limit per IP with postgresql, but i think,
you can do that with iptables (depending on your operating system).

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer