Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 4

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 4
Date: 2008-04-23 14:08:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > Applied with some minor changes to the error messages to make them
> > closer to our guidelines. (With my track record, it's not entirely
> > unlikely that someone will fix them further though :-P)
>
> I think the messages should not have a newline in the middle.

Are you talking about the one in pg_ctl? We have other messages in
pg_ctl that already do this, so I figured it was ok there...

> Also, I am wondering if in PM_WAIT_BACKUP mode we should accept new
> connections from superusers only.

Oh yeah, bleh, that reminds me that I should send off the couple of
comments for further improvements I thought of.

One was just this.

Another was, should we expose the cancel backup as a SQL level command?

//Magnus