Re: After updating dataset the record goes to the end of the dataset

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
To: Nacef LABIDI <nacef(dot)l(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Roland Voegtli <voegtli(at)scnat(dot)ch>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: After updating dataset the record goes to the end of the dataset
Date: 2008-04-22 10:15:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:10:41PM +0200, Nacef LABIDI wrote:
> Yes I don't issue any sort statement, and I indeed want the data to be show
> as it is stored in the database. But after updating a row (I don't update
> the ID, just some fields), it keeps its same place on the DB but jumps to
> the end of the dataset and by the way to the end of the DBGrid.

why do you think it stays in the same place in db?

besides - without "order by" you cannot depend on the order of rows.
basically i treat them as in "random" order (which is not true, but
helps me remember to never count on the "default" ordering.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA. here's my CV!" :)