Re: ERROR: failed to re-find parent key in "sl_seqlog_idx" for deletion target

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: John Parnefjord <John(dot)Parnefjord(at)ki(dot)se>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: failed to re-find parent key in "sl_seqlog_idx" for deletion target
Date: 2008-04-22 08:04:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

John Parnefjord wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Hope anyone can shed some light on this. I was struck by the
> following error in the slony log but I believe it's not a slony
> error, rather that slony triggers an error in PostgreSQL. The error
> message is:

Correct, that's not a backend error.

> cleanupThread: vacuum analyze sl_seqlog; - ERROR: failed to re-find
> parent key in "sl_seqlog_idx" for deletion target
>
> I've tried to find some posts about it and I could only find one post
> where Tom states that reindexing should do the trick, but there is no
> answer that reindexing did solve the case. The post is here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-08/msg00035.php
>
> Well, it is supposed to have been fixed to version 8.2, but it's a
> PostgreSQL 8.2.4 x86_64 server running on Debian that triggers the
> error.

Hi!

Please copy out the files as requested in that email - I'm sure Tom is
still interested in debugging it to find the issue. After that, try a
REINDEX to see if it solves your problem.

And while you're at it, you guys should be at 8.2.7, not 8.2.4.. :-P
There are some index fixes between those versions (specifically in
8.2.5), but I don't know the details of them enough to say if this
could be the problem you're hitting.

//Magnus