BUG #4120: ERROR: cache lookup failed for function 0

From: "Pedro Gimeno" <pgsql-002(at)personal(dot)formauri(dot)es>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4120: ERROR: cache lookup failed for function 0
Date: 2008-04-21 13:05:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4120
Logged by: Pedro Gimeno
Email address: pgsql-002(at)personal(dot)formauri(dot)es
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.5
Operating system: Debian Etch + Backports
Details:

I have an application running under Windows (tried both with XP and 2000)
which when run, gets the server to a point in which every comparison of
varchar < varchar gives the above error:

postgres=# select ''::varchar < ''::varchar;
ERROR: cache lookup failed for function 0

It doesn't seem to matter where it's run: that last command was run in the
Debian box, so it doesn't look like a client-side problem. However I've been
unable to force that state by any other means but running my application.

Changing the direction of the comparison makes things work again, i.e. if I
write "SELECT b > a" instead of "SELECT a < b" it works.

Is there anything I can do to help tracking down this problem?

-- Pedro Gimeno