Re: What's New

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's New
Date: 2008-04-18 12:35:57
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 11:38 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:
> > > We need a way to link to the release notes for the latest
> > > production release, so people can easily see What's New.
> > >
> > > 1. Currently its very hard to locate a description of what the new
> > > features in the latest release are. You have to know how the docs
> > > are structured to find it easily. If you click on the Home Page's
> > > "Notes" link for 8.3.1 you go to the minor release notes for
> > > 8.3.1 and there is no obvious link to the notes for 8.3.0 which
> > > is where all the main features are described. We don't even say
> > > that's how it works, so there's no way of knowing you aren't
> > > viewing *all* the info. So if you don't know, and most people
> > > don't, 8.3 looks like a minor upgrade from 8.2 only, so why
> > > bother.
> >
> > Good point. But we need some way to include the release notes for
> > the minor version as well. Do you have any suggestion for how to do
> > it? Adding two different set of notes to the website there will
> > just make things even more confusing, I think.
>
> > Perhaps what we need is a section
> > in the 8.3.1 release notes that says "this is a minor update. If you
> > want to see the release notes between 8.2 and 8.3, please click
> > here" with a link to them?
>
> Good idea.
>
> Wording: "This is a minor release. For a full list of features added
> in this major release, please click here".
>
> Note that this would be a link between *any* minor release and its
> corresponding major release. i.e. 8.3.1, 8.3.2 etc would all point to
> 8.3

I tried that first, but I think I got it better if I just worked it
into the paragraph that was already there. For an example, see:
http://builder.hagander.net/pgdoc/release-8-3-1.html

I can easily change it back to your wording if you think that's better,
but you did mean that as a separate paragraph, correct?

If people like this method, I'll go through the release.sgml file and
make the change for other versions as well. It's a simple cut/paste...
Patch is as simple as:
<para>
This release contains a variety of fixes from 8.3.0.
+ For information about new features in the 8.3 release, see
+ <xref linkend="release-8-3">.
</para>

(obviously it needs to be backpatched to the stable branch to make any
difference for the links on the website)

So. Objections? Better wordings?

//Magnus