Re: Is the shoe on the foot?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Brian Hurt" <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>, "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is the shoe on the foot?
Date: 2008-04-18 16:17:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:25:20 +0100
Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> "Brian Hurt" <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com> writes:
>
> > But in any case, the possibility that Sun will do this is a real,
> > legitimate concern, and thus not FUD, for MySQL users.
>
> The discussion isn't about the possibility. The discussion is
> predicated on a single entirely unfounded report claiming they *are*.
> In fact Sun has made repeated unambiguous declarations that they have
> no intention of doing so.

Sun MySQL is not close sourcing the core database product. They are
releasing as close source plugins to the MySQL core product. These
plugins will provide features such as different types of backup,
encrypted etc... Further the API for said plugin capability is fully
documented and anyone is able to take advantage of it.

I had an after lunch drink with Marten Mickos yesterday.

Joshua D. Drake