Re: Examining very large dumps

From: Tino Schwarze <postgresql(at)tisc(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Examining very large dumps
Date: 2008-04-16 10:07:43
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:58:29PM +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> > > Hi, i just started the process of migrating from 7.4 to 8.3.1.
> > > On restoring, apart from the easily explainable ERRORs (both in
> > > DDL, COPY), i got some ugly ERRORs denoting foreign key constraint
> > > violations.  Since the dump is 35 Gbytes, i'd like your advice for
> > > examining, editing, extracting portions of large dumps, in order
> > > to find the cause of the problem. vim (linux), vi (FreeBSD) or any
> > > other unix editor i tried, could not handle the volume.
> >
> > Do you have a plain text dump or a compressed archive? Try using less
> > for a first view, then extract things with grep or alter with sed.

> Its a text dump. however less, tail, head seem dead slow, i'll try with some form
> of grep.

less will try to count the number of lines. You may savely interrupt
this by CTRL-C.

> I'd like to know if there is some kind of more efficient editor for viewing, searching
> very large text files, searching by lineno or content.

I'm afraid that would be sed in this case. At least I don't know of any
special large text file editor. After all, if you need to search,
there's almost no way around searching through the whole 35 GB.

„What we resist, persists.” (Zen saying)