Re: postgres.org doesn't work

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres.org doesn't work
Date: 2008-04-10 17:43:12
Lists: pgsql-www

Just to be a pedant,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:58:40PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We own the domain name postgres.org, but it doesn't pull up our web

"we" don't own the domain names, according to the agreement the registrants
signed by virtue of registering the domain. PostgreSQL Global Development
Group (which is not, of course, a legal entity and cannot enter into
contracts) is listed as the registrant of postgres.com. Tom Lane is the
registrant of postgres.org (and probably effectively postgres.com, since
he's the administrative contact). And Marc Fournier is the registrant of
postgresql.org.

All of that said, a DNAME for postgres.org to postgresql.org might be a nice
idea. (Note that this will, under current RFCs, mean that you can't
redirect postgres.org itself. But all domains under it can be.) You can't
use this for MX records, because for non-implementing resolvers DNAMEs cause
the synthesis of a CNAME, and CNAMEs aren't allowed in MX chains. (And
people marvel that users complain of the complexity of DNS!)