Re: best practices for dumping databases

From: richard terry <rterry(at)gnumed(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best practices for dumping databases
Date: 2008-04-07 03:45:13
Lists: pgsql-novice
On the same topic, but a variation.

I use pgAdmin 1.4.2 and am a paranoid backer-upper, ie do it frequently, but
obviously have not been taking notice of the messages as they spin past.

When the database and its schema's have been open and I've been working on
them, I usally then just click on the database name, right mouse click >
backup > enter file name > choose plain > ok, then copy the resultant file
off the machine.

I noticed yesterday that on occasions the title bar window was only showing
the name of either a schema, or even a single table, and to my horror I've
discovered I was often not getting a complete database dump.

Despite going back up and clicking the database name, right mouse up witih the
menu, choose _Backup etc, it was only copying a table or shema I'd previously
worked on.

If I closed the connection and re-established it, then the squence works.

Am I doing anything wrong???

Regards

Richard