Re: Several tags around PostgreSQL 7.1 broken

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Several tags around PostgreSQL 7.1 broken
Date: 2008-04-02 16:08:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 schrieb Marc G. Fournier:
> Agreed ... but, stupid question here ... if our tags are wrong in CVS, are
> the 7.1.x releases themselves wrong too?  When I do a release tarball, I
> run:
>
> cvs -q export -rREL7_1_1 pgsql
>
> so, if the tags are wrong, then all of those releases are wrong too, since
> they are based on the tag ...

I believe we moved to using cvs export many years after 7.1.  Before that, the
releases were made straight out of a cvs checkout.  With cvs export it is of
course nearly impossible to create such a mess.

I sporadically tested the correspondence of tarball and tag for some other
older releases, and they seem OK.  At least to the extent that corresponding
tags exist at all ... ;-)