Re: pgAdmin vs. the competition

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info
Cc: gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin vs. the competition
Date: 2008-03-31 03:35:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> I think crossplatform development doesn't help on this issue. And
> wxWidgets seems, well, less interesting (in the UI) than Qt for example.
>
> > Whenever PostgreSQL is busy the UI fails to
> > give any clue, no icon changes to a spinning hourglass, no status bar
> > filling up, not even a mindless pop-up saying "busy...".  This is
> > painfully obvious when doing a BACKUP or RESTORE.
>
> For the backup/restore stuff, I don't think pgAdmin can actually do
> something better. We heavily rely on pg_dump/pg_restore. Any other UI
> tool would need to do the same.
>
> > And even when either
> > task completes, the UI/text doesn't do much to even let me know it
> > worked.  In fact it just re-enables the buttons again, where at first
> > I'd click them and it would try to do the backup/restore again, which
> > really made me believe the whole operation failed."
> >

> Which lets me think he doesn't use the latest build (1.8).
>
> > I forward this along not to pick on pgAdmin, which is hampered in
> > particular by being so cross-platform which Microsoft doesn't have to
> > worry about, but to point out this is a not particularly obvious way
> > PostgreSQL comparisions sometimes fail.  This is not even close to the
> > first time I've heard comments about how large the distance is between
> > pgAdmin and the SQL Manager software in particular is, just the first
> > time I could share the report.
> >
> > Something to chew on for those thinking about development resource
> > allocation...
> >

> I completely agree on this. pgAdmin is really far far far away from SQL
> Manager. But they have many more developers than us, and they don't have
> to handle crossdevelopment. We need to show our differences : remote
> configuration, Slony support, etc. Adding pgPool, pgPool-II and
> pgBouncer support would be great and is something I would like to add as
> soon as possible.

pgpool-II provides convenient interfaces to manage pgpool-II. "PCP
commands" is a set of commands to control pgpool-II. You could, for
example, get status of pgool, attach/detach DB nodes etc. See
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/#reference for more details.
Actually pgpoolAdmin(A web based pgpool-II control GUI) uses these
commands to control pgpool-II.

If you prefer to use C libraries, rather than UNIX commands, you could
use libpcp, an C functions control pgpool-II. PCP commands actually
are made on top of libpcp.

If you have questions, please let me know or you could send questions
on pgpool ML (http://pgfoundry.org/mail/?group_id=1000055)
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan