Re: postgreSQL multithreading

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgreSQL multithreading
Date: 2008-03-30 15:36:52
Lists: pgsql-general

postgre(at)seznam(dot)cz <postgre(at)seznam(dot)cz> schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to find some way to implement multithreading into my postgreSQL stored functions.
>
> The thing is, that I have data stored in multiple tables - for each day one table - and I want to write
> a function which selects data from these tables and stores them into files (or just returns the data in cursor);
> Information about data stored in these tables are in another table defined like this:
>
> partitions_daily(from_date timestamp, to_date timestamp, table_name)
>
> From_date and to_date tells in which table the requested data should be found.
>
> In this time I have function through which I can get the data, the problem is that everything is processed with only
> one CPU core. I think it should be very easy to make this model to be multithreaded and use more CPU cores.

I think, the only way to achieve this is to use multiple connections to
the database. One connection to select the table_name and than, for
every table_name, a own connection to the database to select and write
the data to files.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknow)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°