Re: Auto Partitioning Patch - WIP version 1

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Auto Partitioning Patch - WIP version 1
Date: 2008-03-26 17:50:20
Lists: pgsql-patches
bruce wrote:
> > I am assuming you use hard links -- obviously this doesn't work with
> > symlinks.  (My script creates hard links.)
>
> I was using symlinks.  I try to avoid hardlinks that cross directories
> --- not sure why, probably because I can't easily manage them to find
> out what something is linked to without playing with inodes.  You are
> right that if I used hard-links I put things in a separate directory,
> and the hard links would still contain the email, though if the email
> has been removed, should we still be returning it from a query?  I
> suppose I could delete items with only one link.
>
> Well, if I move the permanent links to another directory, as you
> suggest, I am going to invalidate every link.  Maybe we should wait for
> this commit fest to end and then I can create a permanent link directory
> and use hard links.
>
> Or is everyone OK with invalidating all the permanent links now.

OK, I remember now.  The problem wasn't symlinks but that mhonarc
generates URLs relative to the current directory.  If we have message-id
files outside the directory, links like "Thread Next" will not work.  We
could try to change those to absolute with a script.  The community
archives are going to have the same problem.

pgsql-patches by date

Subject: Re: Moving snapshot code around