COPY doesn't like my dates on STDIN

From: James Long <pgsql-novice(at)museum(dot)rain(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: COPY doesn't like my dates on STDIN
Date: 2008-03-19 03:31:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm trying to

copy temp_table ( id, date_created ) from stdin;
TME 2008-03-18
\.

pgsql says:

ERROR: column "date_created" is of type date but expression is of type character
HINT: You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.

I basically grok what it is saying, but the "expression" is in the
STDIN stream. How do I cast that? And I also don't get why my
pg_dump backup scripts use this same syntax but I can't.

One such pg_dump-created file says:

COPY tickets (ticket_number, reservation_number, travel_date, issue_date, ... )
FROM stdin;
2115492091826 11ACFD 2006-08-28 \N ...

Certainly, no criticism intended. I really enjoy PG. Just
confusion on my part is all.

Thank you,

Jim