Re: Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views

From: Michael Eschweiler <Michael(dot)Eschweiler(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views
Date: 2008-03-08 15:33:37
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

> Did you compile wxwidgets your self, or is that a package for Suse
> 10.2? It's quite probable that needs to be recompiled against the
> newer GTK libraries as well (sorry, didn't cross my mind yesterday)
No, I tried it with the package provided by opensuse, but now I compiled it
myself (The wx-GTK part)

> That appears to be because further down in the log we see the LIBS
> variable is set to -lldap which causes the linker to try to import
> libldap.. I don't know why that is the case - it's certainly not
> something pgAdmin does. I would clear the variable, and try again. If
> you find it's being set by rpmbuild, try installing libldap - it won't
> hurt pgAdmin.
Ok - I installed some openldap-packages hoping this would solve the problem.
Then I tried to compile once more and found that the compiler was mixing up
the newer libc library with an older one I had installed. So I uninstalled
the older libc library.
Now the configure procedure ends up reclaiming:
configure: error: Could not find your PostgreSQL installation
in /usr/local/pgsql

My Postgresql installation is the standard installation with the packages
provides from opensuse - with one exception: For easier backup purposes i
changed the data-directory to /home/pgsql. Nevertheless with the postgresql
installation from opensuse there is no directory /usr/local/psql, I think the
main directories are

/usr/lib (for some libraries)
/usr/lib/postgresql
/var/lib/psql (the original 'home directory for the postgres admin)
/usr/include/pgsql (the devel package)

So I tried to change the psql directory in the pgadmin3.conf but configure
keeps on complaining that it can't find my Postgresql installation. When
looked into the pgadmin3.conf I found the line
--with-wx=/usr/local/wxwindows
I wonder if there is lurking another problem because I didn't find the
directory 'wxwindows' on my machine. Is this because I need something more
than the wx-GTK?

Sorry for this larger explanation. I am only a 'normal' user without greater
programming skills...

Michael