Maximum statistics target

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Maximum statistics target
Date: 2008-03-07 18:25:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Related to the concurrent discussion about selectivity estimations ...

What is the reason the statistics target is limited to 1000?  I've seen more
than one case where increasing the statistics target to 1000 improved results
and one would have wanted to increase it further.

What's the problem with setting it to ten million if I have ten million values
in the table and I am prepared to spend the resources to maintain those
statistics?