Re: FAQ on Embedding Postgres

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FAQ on Embedding Postgres
Date: 2008-03-06 06:53:34
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 01:25:35 -0500

> I've got nothing against SQLite.  But I am unhappy with the idea of us
> recommending *any* particular bit of software that is not under our
> control, especially in a document that is as widespread and hard to
> update as our FAQ.  There are any number of scenarios where we might
> want to take back such an endorsement, but once made it'll be out
> there somewhere on the Web until cockroaches rule the earth.  There
> is also the whole class of arguments about "why'd you recommend X and
> not Y?" that we'd surely get sucked into.  Better not to go there in
> the first place.

I have to agree. As much as I actually like SQLite the reality is the
only thing we can remotely guarantee is the quality of our own software
and as Tom says, "cockroaches". I still find articles that I wrote 5
years ago that are not even remotely relevant any longer but I get
emails about them.

We need to focus the language on and about postgresql and postgresql
only.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit