Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x

From: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)s-itsolutions(dot)at>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x
Date: 2008-02-28 19:20:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:06:46PM +0100, Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD wrote:

> > > Well, I guess the question is: if we don't offer some builtin way to
> render
> > > non-standard formats built into company products, will those
> companies fix
> > > their format or just not use PostgreSQL?
> >
> > Well, there is an advantage that Postgres has that some others don't:
> you
> > can extend Postgres pretty easily. That suggests to me a reason to be
> > conservative in what we "build in". This is consistent with the
> principle,
> > "Be conservative in what you send, and liberal in what you accept."
>
> Well, then the uuid input function should most likely disregard all -,
> and accept the 4x-, 8x- formats and the like on input.
>
> Andreas

We need to support the standard definition. People not using the standard
need to know that and explicitly acknowledge that by implementing the
conversion process themselves. Accepting random input puts a performance
hit on everybody following the standard. It is the non-standard users who
should pay that cost.

Cheers,
Ken