Re: questions about CLUSTER

From: Douglas J Hunley <doug(at)hunley(dot)homeip(dot)net>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: questions about CLUSTER
Date: 2008-02-27 18:45:11
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wednesday 27 February 2008 13:35:16 Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> > > 2) is there any internal data in the db that would allow me to
> > > programmatically determine which tables would benefit from being
> > > clustered? 3) for that matter, is there info to allow me to determine
> > > which index it should be clustered on in cases where the table has more
> > > than one index?
> >
> > The pg_stat_user_indexes table keeps stats on how often the index is
> > used. Indexes that are used frequently are candidates for clustering.
>
> I had just started looking at this actually.

ok, so for a follow-on, should I be more concerned with idx_scan,
idx_tup_read, or idx_tup_fetch when determining which indexes are 'good'
candidates?

again, tia. i feel like such a noob around here :)

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
http://doug.hunley.homeip.net

<kwall> I don't get paid. I just get a tip as the money passes through my
hands on its way from my employer to my debtors.