example of insert timestamp

From: David Bear <david(dot)bear(at)asu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: example of insert timestamp
Date: 2008-02-26 01:21:19
Lists: pgsql-admin
I've been reading about triggers on insert and found the page at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/triggers.html with some sample
code in the comments.

I'm thinking what I want can't really be this involved.

I want to have a table with a timestamp field that automatically gets the
value of now() on insert. The timestamp will never be updated. I assume I
need to create a trigger to do this. If there is an easier way, please
advise.

Otherwise, is there any sample code that would should be how to do this? The
sample on the page above looks like overkill.

--

David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Aaron BonoDate: 2008-02-26 01:21:21