Re: archives.postgresql.org change

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: archives.postgresql.org change
Date: 2008-02-24 18:35:54
Lists: pgsql-www
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:24:36 -0400
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:

> - --On Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:42:45 +0100 Dave Page
> <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

> > Yeah, me too. I know we were aiming to upgrade svr5, but don't
> > recall any chatter about moving the archives generation. Marc
> > normally just moves VMs to a FreeBSD 6 host and upgrades them.
>
> Actually, I had asked Joshua to do this months ago ... figured it
> made more sense to pull justhte mbox files to the archives server and
> regen, then pull them to an intermediary box, and then have archives
> pull  the generated files ... the middle step didn't make much
> sense ...
>
> > Yeah, I'm not sure what they all were, but I do remember Marc
> > spending a bunch of time hacking stuff around on Oleg & John's
> > advice to optimise the way Google & other search engine index the
> > archives. I don't know if all that customisation is stuff that can
> > be rsync'd.
>
> The only thing that that should have affected would have been
> the .resource file ... Joshua, we did copy that over, right?

I have the following:

-rw-r--r--  1 archives archives 8041 Jul 13  2006 .resource-new
-rw-r--r--  1 archives archives 7856 Aug  9  2006 .resource-old

Which contain a bunch of mhonarc macros (at least that is what it looks
like). It is called from mk-mhonarc like so:

  if [ `echo $month | awk -F. '{print $2}'` -le 200607 ]; then
      resourcefile=.resource-old
    else
      resourcefile=.resource-new
    fi

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit