BUG #3983: pgxs files missing from binary installation

From: "Mike Leahy" <mgleahy(at)alumni(dot)uwaterloo(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3983: pgxs files missing from binary installation
Date: 2008-02-23 00:00:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 3983
Logged by: Mike Leahy
Email address: mgleahy(at)alumni(dot)uwaterloo(dot)ca
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.0
Operating system: Win32
Details:

I've tried to compile the PL/R module, which I have been doing with 8.2.x
versions. PL/R requires the pgxs.mk file, and determines its location from
pg_config. The location of pgxs.mk reported by pg_config in my case (from
windows binary installer) is "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk". However, there is no
such pgxs folder located in the /lib directory...nor is there any other
instance of pgxs.mk anywhere in the PostgreSQL install location.

There also seem to be no pgxs files in any of the other distributed 8.3
binaries for win32. Tom Lane's suggestion in the pgsql-general mailing list
is that this is a bug with the installer. At this time, I'm unable to
compile PL/R for PostgreSQL, which I think has a growing user base that
relies on the installer normally posted at http://www.joeconway.com/plr.